Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to our FAQ page, dedicated to providing you with valuable information about mold inspections/topics and addressing the most common questions we receive. We understand that dealing with mold issues can be concerning, and we want to ensure that you have all the necessary knowledge to make informed decisions. Our team of experts has compiled this comprehensive resource to assist you in understanding the mold inspection process and the services we offer. Whether you’re a homeowner, property manager, or business owner, our aim is to provide you with clear and informative answers that will guide you through the mold inspection journey. Let’s explore the world of mold inspections and find the solutions you need to maintain a healthy environment.

Mold typically starts to grow within 24-48 hours once moisture is present and exposed to mold spores. When a leak occurs in your home and mold spores land on the wet area, it can take 24-48 hours for the mold spore to begin growing. The likelihood of mold growth increases with the number of spores present in your home.

Mold is ubiquitous and can grow both indoors and outdoors. All mold needs to grow is water and a source of food. Mold spores from outside can enter your home and, upon finding a moisture source, start to grow. As mold grows, it releases spores that are then dispersed throughout your home by your AC unit. If there are any moisture sources such as leaks, humidity, or floods, these spores can land on the moisture and initiate the growth cycle again.

Once the mold starts to grow, it starts to make its own spores; these spores are then released into your home in abundance. Once these spores are released, they get picked up and moved around your home by your AC unit. If there are any moisture sources (leaks, humidity, floods etc.), the spores can land on the moisture and begin the process all over again.

Mold and mildew are both types of fungi, but they have a few key differences. Mildew tends to be white or light in color, while mold typically has darker colors such as black, brown, tan, orange, or green. Mildew grows only on surfaces, while mold can penetrate and embed itself into materials. Mold is also generally more toxic than mildew and emits a mustier smell due to the toxins it releases.

Another difference is the danger of mildew versus mold. Mold is much, much more toxic than mildew, and gives off a much mustier smell than mildew because of the toxins it releases.

Mold spores serve as the reproductive “seeds” of mold fungi. These spores are microscopic and cannot be seen by the human eye. They are stored in a sac called a Sporangium on the top of the mold fungus. Once fully grown, the sac explodes, releasing millions of spores to seek out new environments for growth.

The “black stuff” in your shower is typically mold, not mildew. Mildew is usually white or gray, while mold appears dark in color. The presence of mold in your shower does not necessarily indicate that it is the primary source of the mold problem. Often, there is another location in your home where the main source of mold growth is located. The shower provides a suitable environment with constant moisture, which allows mold to thrive.

Mold begins when there is a favorable environment for its growth, such as damp or wet materials. If there is a moisture source like a plumbing leak, mold can start growing within 24-48 hours. Once a mold spore lands on moist surfaces, it can initiate the formation of mold on the wet or damp material.

Moisture is the primary cause of mold growth in homes. Whether it is high humidity, a roof leak, a plumbing issue, or a flood, excess moisture provides the ideal conditions for mold to thrive. Mold typically grows on organic materials like drywall, wood, leather, and even dust.

Mold often has a musty or “moldy” odor. This smell is caused by the chemicals produced by mold during its growth. Not all molds produce noticeable smells, but if you detect a musty odor in your home, it is likely that you have a mold problem. However, even if there is no smell, mold could still be present, as some molds do not release noticeable odors.

Many types of mold have the potential to be harmful. Certain molds produce chemicals that can cause health issues. “Black Mold” is known to be particularly toxic, but other types of mold can also produce harmful chemicals. The severity of the health risks depends on various factors, including individual sensitivities and the type of mold present.

Contrary to a common misconception, mold is not limited to the visible area. Mold is an airborne problem, and its toxins and spores can be present in the air. Breathing in these toxins can cause health problems. Even if you only see mold in one spot, it is possible for it to have spread to other areas through the air.

Mold produces chemicals that can enter the body through inhalation or skin absorption. The health effects of mold exposure can vary. Some individuals may experience symptoms such as a stuffy nose, sore throat, coughing, wheezing, burning eyes, or a skin rash. People with asthma or allergies to mold may have severe reactions. Individuals with weakened immune systems or chronic lung diseases are at a higher risk of developing lung infections due to mold exposure.

Bleach can be effective in removing mold from non-porous materials like glass, metal, and tile. However, it does not kill mold on porous materials such as drywall and wood. Mold can embed itself into these materials, and bleach only discolors the surface without eliminating the mold. Additionally, using bleach on mold can agitate it and cause the release of a large quantity of mold spores, further spreading the problem.

Due to the potential health hazards and contamination risks associated with mold, it is advisable to have a professional mold remediation company handle the problem. DIY techniques found online can often make the mold problem worse. Disturbing mold releases a significant number of spores, which can spread throughout the home if not properly addressed. Proper containment, protective gear, disposal, and treatment are necessary for effective mold remediation.

Mold testing kits available at hardware stores are not reliable for determining if you have a mold problem. These kits are essentially petri dishes that capture various particles in the air, not specifically mold. Mold is naturally present both indoors and outdoors, so the presence of mold spores alone does not indicate an elevated mold level in your home. To accurately assess mold levels, it is best to consult a trained professional equipped with the appropriate testing equipment and expertise.

Request A Callback

Our team will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your needs.

Call Us Today

Let Us Help You Find Out If You Have A Mold Problem Or Not!